Dry skin around eyelids is a common symptom during winter. In winter, the cold air dries the skin around eyes, however, it does not have to be cold for your skin to be dry, itchy and flaky. So what causes dry skin on eyelids and how do you get rid of it. Here is an insight on the causes, symptoms, and treatment on how to get rid of dry skin at home.
What causes dry skin on eyelids?
- 1 What causes dry skin on eyelids?
- 2 Dry skin around eyes and eyelids
- 3 Dry skin during pregnancy
- 4 Symptoms
- 5 Treatment for dry skin on eyelids
- 6 How to prevent dry skin on eyelids
- 7 How to get rid of dry skin with home remedies
Dry skin on eyelids can be caused by a lot of things. Dry skin can by caused by a serious underlying medical condition which requires urgent medical attention. When faced with this condition, it is important to have you heath care provider check it out as soon as possible.
Common causes of dry skin on eyelids will include but not limited to the following.
1. Reaction to cosmetic products
Most of the chemical skin care products and facial make-ups cosmetics have been known to cause dry eyelids.
Some of the reactive cosmetic products include antioxidants, preservatives, resins, fragrances, emollients among others. Reducing you dependency of such products can help prevent dry skin.
Eyelid dermatitis which refers to localized inflammation of the eyelids can also lead to dry skin. There are many causes that can lead to this condition. Touching your eyelids or the skin around eyes with dirty hands full of chemicals like fragrances and lotion is a common cause of eyelid dermatitis.
Eyelids dermatitis is not always caused by an allergic reaction, simply irritating the eyelid skin can lead to it breaking down. With dry skin on eyelids, one can tell an allergic reaction from an irritation by the fact that irritation tends to present with red skin that eventually splits.
3. Perioral dermatitis
Also known as periorificial dermatitis, perioral dermatitis is a serious is a very serious dermatological condition. Urgent medical attention is required if you suspect this to be the underlying cause of the dry skin on eyelids.
Perioral dermatitis is a skin condition characterized by multiple small papules. The small bumps are localized to the skin around mouth, nostrils and around eyes. The condition commonly affects women, it can also affect children, men and the elderly.
The cause of the condition is unknown but often occurs after the use of steroids on the face. When diagnosed with the condition, topical corticosteroids should be stopped entirely. In some people, the condition usually resolves within a few months without medication.
This is a condition characterized by the inflammation of the eyelids. Blepharitis is an eye condition that affects the eyelids. It can cause clumping and stickiness around eyelashes.
Apart from the dry skin around eyelids, other signs and symptoms of this condition will include mild to severe itching, redness on eyelids, flaking and crusting.
The condition can be managed by maintaining proper eyelid hygiene. The condition does not disappear entirely, even successful treatment is often followed by relapses. Topical antibiotics can be effective in providing symptomatic relief and clearing bacteria.
5. Harsh environmental conditions
A Harsh environmental condition is the other common cause of dry skin on eyelids. Dry skin is a common occurrence for people who live in areas that are very dry, with strong winds. Dry skin is also a common problem in people who live in big cities.
6. Poor hygiene
Poor facial hygiene causes bacterial, fungal or viral infection around eyelids. This may also cause the dry flaky skin on eyelids.
Dry skin around eyes and eyelids
Dry skin around eyes and eyelids can also be a symptom of underlying medical conditions. Some of the skin condition known to cause dry skin will include the following.
Eczema is a medical condition in which patches of skin become rough and inflamed. Eczema on eyelids is often accompanied with painful fluid-filled blisters that cause itching and bleeding. This condition has no obvious cause but can sometimes be caused a reaction to an irritation.
Dry skin on eyelids can also be caused by psoriasis. This is a chronic autoimmune condition that causes a rapid build up of skin cells. With psoriasis, the build up of cells causes scaling on the surface of the skin. Inflammation and redness around the scales are fairly common.
There are different types of psoriasis. Most will have the following symptoms:
- Raised inflamed patches
- Dry skin that cracks and bleed
- Itching and a feeling of burning sensation
- Soreness around the patches among others
8. Dry eye syndrome
This is a condition of having dry eyes, the condition is often associated with symptoms such as irritation, redness, discharge and easily fatigued eyes. Dry eyes occur when the eyes fail to produce enough tears or when tears evaporate too quickly.
Dry eyes ca result from Meibomian gland dysfunction, allergies, pregnancy or vitamin A deficiency. Different approaches can be used to treat the condition. This includes:
- avoidance of exacerbating factors,
- tear stimulation and supplementation,
- treatment of eye inflammation
- increase tear retention and
- eyelid cleansing
9. Skin stress
Stress skin around eyelids can also be the underlying cause of dry eyelids. When applying facial make-up, for example, you may use too harsh makeup, or rub the skin too much. If you use a dirty makeup brush, you are at risk of skin stress.
To avoid this, you can choose to have your make up done by a professional makeup artist.
10. Sjogren’s syndrome
This is a disorder of the immune system identified by two common symptoms dry eyes and dry mouth.
Dry skin during pregnancy
A lot of hormonal changes take place during pregnancy. Being pregnant can be exciting, but the external complexion does not always reflect the inner joy. Skin issues can abound during pregnancy. Common issues include:
- Itchy and dry skin
- Freaky rash on skin this can be a sign of cholestasis of pregnancy
During pregnancy, make sure to talk to your health care provider before your attempt to treat the dry skin on eyelids.
Dry skin on eyelid will often be accompanied by different annoying symptoms. Most of this will depend on the underlying cause of the dry skin. Here are some common symptoms of dry skin.
- Flaky skin on eyelids
- Dry itchy skin
- Red dry skin
- Dry patches
- Swollen eyelids
- Burning and stinging sensation around eyes
Treatment for dry skin on eyelids
Treatment for dry eyes will vary depending on what the underlying cause is. Given that the skin around eyes is more sensitive than that of other parts of the body, applying lotion or moisturizer as treatment for the dry skin is not recommended by most dermatologists. There different brands of gel and cream that you can use to treat the condition.
To treat dry skin on eyelids you can try the following:
- Treating the underlying cause of dryness. Condition such as eczema may need to be treated with moisturizers and lotion or with oral and topical steroids
- Using gels and creams to achieve the moisturized skin. moisturizing cream for dry skin includes Vaseline jelly among others
- Gently wash your eyelids with baby shampoo.
- When the cause of the dryness is harsh or allergic skin care products, avoid them will help in treating the condition
- Try antibacterial gel. This is a good away to prevent bacterial infection which may worsen the symptoms of dry eyelid, making your eyelids more dry, itchy, and flaky.
How to prevent dry skin on eyelids
Dry skin on eyelids as said is a common occurrence. There are however some things you can do to prevent this phenomenon. If you have dry skin around eyes, there are some things you can do to prevent future flare-ups.
Here are some tips on how to prevent dry skin. When preventing dry skin on eyelids, you focus on the triggers of dry skin to prevent it from occurring. Here is what you need to do:
- You need to avoid harsh skin care products: avoid using harsh cosmetic products on your eyelids and the delicate skin around eyes. Say no to scented products and harsh drying soaps that might irritate the skin around your eyes.
- You need to be very careful about the products you use around your eyes. Avoid sharing cosmetics such as eye makeup and mascara. You will also need to replace your products regularly. If you have a sensitive skin, you may consider using less makeup or non-altogether.
- Avoid touching or scratching dry itchy eyelids. You also need to avoid triggers of dry skin this will include things such as fragrances and harsh skin care products.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids especially during winter
- In extreme dry weathers, you can keep things under control by using a humidifier
- Long hot bath and shower is a no when it comes to protecting your skin from dryness. Long hot showers rob your skin of the oils that protect skin moisture from escaping the skin.
How to get rid of dry skin with home remedies
The best and most effective way to get rid of dry skin on eyelids is to eliminate the underlying cause of dryness. So treating dry skin will involve establishing what the underlying cause of dryness is before you can decide the right treatment option.
There are however some simple natural remedies that can help offer relief for dry itchy skin on eyelids at home. Here are some home remedies you can use to get off dry skin at home:
1. Aloe Vera gel
One way to get rid of dry itchy skin on eyelids is by using a moisturizer. Fresh aloe Vera gel acts as a gentle moisturizer that can help repair the damaged caused by dry skin. Aloe Vera is said to be antimicrobial, when used it can help speed up the healing process.
Aloe Vera gel according to Mayo Clinic may also help treat the underlying cause of dry skin such as psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. To use aloe Vera gel as a remedy, you need to do the following:
- Squeeze aloe Vera gel from a fresh leave in a cup
- Apply the gel directly to your dry flaky skin around eyes
- Avoid getting the gel into your eyes
- Leave the gel on the skin to be absorbed, you do not have to rinse it off
- Repeat this twice or thrice in a day.
2. Cucumber juice
You can also try cucumber juice to get rid of dry skin. What you need to do is apply the juice on the affected are, leave it for some minutes before applying a skin moisturizer. For optimal results, you will have to do this repeatedly for some time.
3. Oatmeal paste
Colloidal Oatmeal is an effective home remedy for soothing dry and sensitive skin. When used topically on the skin, oatmeal is said to have the following benefits:
- Helps defend the skin against infections
- Hydrates dry skin
- Helps even out skin tone and texture
- Oatmeal is a great natural skin cleansing agent
4. Coconut oil
Another effective natural remedy you can use at home for dry skin on eyelids is virgin coconut oil. This oil can soften the skin and reduce flakiness. The oil is able to penetrate the skin and provide deep moisturizing while at the same time keeping a protective layer on the skin.
- To stop itching and flakiness, apply coconut oil directly on the dry eyelids skin
- Do this several times a day
- Make sure to apply small amounts of this oil to make sure it’s all absorbed into the skin. this will leave you with a non-greasy skin
- Keep using the oil until the dry skin is completely gone
- Another great way is to mix the oil with aloe Vera to achieve a natural healing lotion.
5. Cocoa butter
Continued dry skin on eyelids can lead to cracking. This can be painful and annoying. Cocoa butter can be soothing in such cases. This remedy is a great natural moisturizer that relieves dry skin while preventing complications such as cracking skin.
According to a study published by the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, using cocoa butter on skin improves skin appearance and tone.
To reap the benefits of this remedy, try mixing with other beneficial products like Castrol oil and jojoba oil. All you need to do now is simply apply the healing mixture to your dry skin.
6. Avoid harsh skincare products
Using harsh skin care products and facial makeup may worsen dry skin on eyelids. With dry flaky skin or sensitive skin, you will need to discontinue the use of such products until your face heals. Instead of using chemical moisturizers, you can try natural ones like jojoba oil, sweet almond oil or avocado oil.
These natural moisturizers provide a protective layer over the skin that can lock in moisture and prevent dry skin flare-ups. All you need to do is simply massage few drop of any of the natural moisturizers to keep the skin in eyes area soft and elastic.
You can also mix them with essential oils like lavender or chamomile. The soothing scent of essential oil will help reduce stress and manage other underlying skin conditions such as eczema. This is according to the university of Maryland medical center.
7. Reduce stress
According to WebMD, stress can trigger the outbreak of skin condition such as eczema which may result in the dry flaky skin. So avoiding stress is a great way to getting rid of dry skin on eyelids and preventing future flare-ups of the condition.
Simple ways to relieve stress include using essential oils, using relaxation techniques such as yoga and simply having a good night sleep. If you are unable to manage stress at home, you will need to seek professional help.
8. Fish oil
Fish oil is especially good for children with dry skin. Fish oil can improve the appearance of dry skin by softening it. According to a study published in the Journal of Dermatological Science, fish oil was found to significantly increase skin hydration and reduce itchy skin within a few months.
When used on dry skin on eyelids, fish oil can help reduce moisture loss and itching while improving skin hydration.
If after using the above remedies your skin does not seem to improve, urgent medical attention is required. You will now need to consult your doctor. This goes for people with pre-existing condition and those on different medication.
- What causes dry skin around eyes: https://healdove.com/eye-care/Dry-Skin-Around-Eyes-What-You-Can-Do-About-It
- Dry eyelids, causes, and treatment: http://www.eyehealthweb.com/dry-eyelids/
- Dry skin around eyes: http://treatpanel.com/dry-skin-around-eyes-causes-flaky-eyelid-treat-home-remedies/
- Dry eyes, eyelids redness, itching or burning causes: http://symptomchecker.webmd.com/multiple-symptoms?symptoms=dry-eyes%7Ceyelid-redness%7Citching-or-burning%7Cscaley-skin-on-eyelids&symptomids=301%7C543%7C129%7C545&locations=3%7C3%7C3%7C3
- How to treat dry skin around eyes: http://www.vaseline.us/skin-health-care/dry-skin-around-the-eyes.html